Friday, June 10, 2011

My Challenges of Spirituality

Sat Nam Everybody!
Today I want to talk about my spiritual challenges & how my own spiritual practice has evolved & changed over the years.
I was raised in Christian circles as long as I can remember. I was christened Roman Catholic as a baby (although I never actually followed it). Then when I was about 11 O went to a Baptist church for Sunday school for a few years. & then I was in other Christian circles when I got older. Everything from the Evangelical Free church to the Assembly of God churches when I grew up. However, they all seemed to be very rigid in one way or another. I was under the impression that if I did all the "right things" i.e. listened to the right music, read my Bible,, prayed a lot I'd be saved. Give me a break! I'm a very firm believer in the power of prayer. However, I've outgrown the need to do all that extra busywork. I'd rather meditate.
Then several years ago I became curious about the Jewish roots of my faith so I did some research & immersed myself in the music & culture. At about that time I was asking all kinds of questions about the Sabbath & how it got changed to Sunday. Well I had a couple neighbors who lived in back of me who are 7th Day Adventists. They explained that part to me as well as why they don't believe in eating anything that was "unclean" e.g.pork, shellfish,& that's also what my Jewish brothers & sisters believe. So in 2003 I was baptized into the 7th Day Adventist church. However, I still was under the impression that if you did everything "right" you would be saved. At the same time I began studying other religious beliefs i.e. Native American spirituality, Buddhism, & in 2006 I started practicing & studying Kundalini Yoga & Meditation & just heard of Sikhism for the first time. Now I'm studying that to see what I can learn from that culture. So far I've managed to learn many different lessens from every religion I've studied about. For example from the Buddhists I've learned about being mindful & in the here & now. From the Jewish & 7th Day Adventists I've learned about the importance of the weekly Sabbath & not eating anything unclean, From the Native Americans I got what it means to be respectful of nature, & I'm still learning many different things from Kundalini Yoga & Meditation as well as from the Sikhs. So that's still a work in progress.
What are my challenges now? Well the first one is my mom. She's having a hard time understanding why I've chosen to wear a turban. I wonder if she thinks that I'm making fun of other peoples' beliefs (which I'm not. I just want to experiment with it. & she's very firmly stuck in her Bapticostal (between Baptist & Pentecostal) ways. So my main challenge is being respectful to her beliefs while setting my boundries about my own. I'll keep you updated as new developments occur.
Well that's it for now. I'll be back soon with a new post. Until then Sat Nam,
Dana Morgan AKA Amrita Kaur

No comments:

Post a Comment